Prickly Pear BBQ Glazed Pork Tenderloin with Jalapeno Cornbread & Red Chile Slaw
- 16 oz. pork tenderloin, trimmed of all fat
- ¼ cup prickly pear BBQ sauce (recipe below)
- 4 servings grilled jalapeno cornbread (recipe below)
- ¼ cup red chile pecan slaw (see recipe)
- To taste kosher salt
- To taste black pepper
Prickly Pear BBQ Sauce ingredients
- 7 fl oz. ketchup
- 5 fl oz. prickly pear syrup
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. agave syrup
- 2 tsp. molasses
- ¼ cup cajun spice
Red Chile Vinaigrette ingredients
- 1 ½ jalapeño
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- ½ Tbsp. chopped shallot
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup New Mexico Red Chile Purée (Mae Ploy Sweet Chile Sauce may be substituted)
- 20 fl. oz. thickened vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp. toasted cumin seed
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 large egg whites, beaten
- ¾ cup skim milk, regular
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, roasted
- ½ cup cheddar-jack cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup diced green chiles
- ¼ cup jalapeno peppers, finely diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tsp. fructose
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
Pecan slaw ingredients
- ¼ lb. red cabbage, shredded
- ¼ lb. green cabbage, shredded
- 2 Tbsp. pecan pieces, oil-roasted
- ¼ cup red chili vinaigrette (recipe below)
- ¼ each green bell pepper, julienned
- ¼ each red bell pepper, julienned
- ¼ each yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Olive oil (enough to lightly coat pecans)
- Lightly season pork with salt and pepper.
- Place on hot grill and mark on all sides; brush lightly with BBQ sauce and rotate; allow sauce to caramelize onto the meat.
- Place cornbread portion onto grill and cook until grill marks are visible on both sides.
- Remove pork and cornbread from grill; plate up and garnish each plate with 1 Tbsp slaw.
BBQ Sauce directions
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottomed saucepot and simmer over medium heat until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Combine all ingredients except for olive oil.
- Blend until all ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Drizzle in the olive oil.
Note: Vegetable stock can be thickened by bringing it to a boil and slowly whisking in a slurry of cornstarch and cold water. Simmer the stock until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Cool before combining with other ingredients.
- Sift together all dry ingredients.
- Mix all other ingredients.
- Slowly mix other ingredients into dry, stirring to remove all lumps.
- Pour onto lightly greased sheet pan and bake at 350° F for 15-20 minutes, or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Portion into 2 oz squares and reserve for service.
- Toast cornbread on grill just before serving.
Pecan slaw directions
- Lightly coat pecan pieces with olive oil and chili powder.
- Roast in 375° oven until nuts are roasted, about 7-10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.