Orange Crème Brûlée
- 1 cups half & half
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 1/3 cups evaporated skim milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 each egg yolks
- 1 Tbs orange liqueur
- 1/2 Tbs orange zest
- 1/4 tsp orange extract
- 2 12 tsp turbinado sugar (to top the brule)
- Combine half & half, evaporated milk and vanilla bean in a medium saucepot and heat to just below a simmer on medium heat. Remove vanilla bean, split, scrape and add the scrapings back into the mixture. Discard scraped pods.
- Add granulated sugar to the mixture and heat to a simmer; remove from heat.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl. Temper the eggs by slowly wisking in 1/2 cup of the warm milk mixture.
- Add tempered egg yolks into the sauce pot with the remaining milk mixture. Mix well.
- Stir in orange liqueur, orange extract and orange zest.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the mixture into 4 oz. ceramic ramekins until the water level is as high as the brule. (custard)
- Add hot water into the pan around the ramekins until the water level is as high as the brule.
- Cover casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven (300 degrees) for 30-45 minutes, or until the custard is set, but still slightly loose in the center.
- Remove from oven and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least four hours.
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of the turbinado sugar evenly over the top of each brule & carmelize with a small torch. Serve immediately.
Nutrition facts: 2.9 oz serving. 142 Calories, 5g Fat, 20 Carbs