Mango Habanero Glazed Shrimp Skewers
Mango Habanero Glazed Shrimp Skewers Ingredients
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, tail on 13-14 count
- 4 servings coconut infused black forbidden rice (recipe follows)
- 4 servings mango habanero glaze (recipe follows)
- 4 servings green onion crema (recipe follows)
Coconut Infused Black Forbidden Rice Ingredients
- ⅓ cup black rice
- 1 ¼ cups coconut milk
- ½ cup water
Mango Habanero Glaze Ingredients
- ½ tsp. canola oil
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp. honey
- ½ tbsp. garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 cups fresh or frozen mango, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 cup water
Green Onion Crema Ingredients
- 1 cup green onion, tops only
- ¼ cup cold water
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ egg yolk
Mango Habanero Glazed Shrimp Skewers Directions
- Prepare coconut infused black forbidden rice, mango habanero glaze, and green onion crema. Set aside warm or at room temperature.
- Arrange shrimp into pairs of “S”- shaped interlocked head-to-tail pinwheels (or a yin/yang of shrimp, if you will).
- Insert a metal or pre-soaked bamboo skewer just above the tail of one of the shrimp and push it through the head of the second shrimp, then the head of the first shrimp, and finally out the tail of the other shrimp. The shrimps should fit together tightly.
- Preheat grill on high heat (hot enough so that you can’t hold your hand above it for more than a few seconds). Rub the grill with an oil-soaked paper towel to help prevent sticking.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper and place directly on the grill. Grill until shrimp begin to turn pink around the edges; about 2 minutes. Flip the shrimp over and repeat.
- When the shrimp is completely pink, lightly brush on a small amount of the mango habanero glaze and continue cooking for another minute or so.
- Remove from the grill. Scoop ¼ cup of rice, and spoon about 2 tbsp. of mango habanero glaze and 2 tsp. of green onion crema, onto a plate. Place the grilled shrimp skewer on top of the rice.
Coconut Infused Black Forbidden Directions
- Combine coconut milk, rice, and ¼ cup cold water in a saucepot. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- As rice starts to cook dry, stir in remaining ¼ cup of hot water and continue to cook until most liquid is gone. Note that black rice tends to cook up fairly firm to the bite, but should not be crunchy or hard.
- Add additional water or coconut milk and continue cooking as necessary to ensure proper texture. A rice cooker may be used in place of a saucepot.
Mango Habanero Glaze Directions
- Preheat large saucepot over medium-high flame. Add oil and onion and sauté until soft, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, or until the aroma of the garlic is released.
- Carefully cut a slit in the fresh habanero pepper. Be sure not to touch the cut area and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
- Add the pepper, mango, and water to the onion-garlic mixture in the saucepot. Bring to a simmer, stirring often until the mango gets soft and most of the water evaporates (about 8-10 minutes). Add honey and vinegar, reduce heat to low, and cook until the mixture thickens slightly (5-7 minutes).
- Remove the habanero and transfer the remaining ingredients into a blender. Purée until smooth. Thin with additional warm water as needed.
- If more heat is desired, add a small piece of the habanero and blend. Otherwise, the pepper may be discarded at this point. Strain purée through mesh strainer as needed.
Green Onion Crema Directions
- Combine green onion tops (green part only) in blender with water, then purée.
- Combine with egg yolk and blend until fully incorporated. Refrigerate.
Nutritional Key: Calories/Carbs/Proteins/Fat/Fiber 270/30/17/10/2