Italian Lemon Chiffon Cake
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 ½ tbsp. lemon juice
- 5 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 ¼ cup cake flour
- 6 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
Italian Lemon Lavender Icing Ingredients
- 4 oz. Mascarpone cheese, chilled
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp. lavender herbs
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- Whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Place egg whites in an electric stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Add 1/3 cup sugar to stiff peaks.
- Whip up egg yolks in the stand mixer with 2/3 cup sugar until a light lemon color and thick. Add lemon and olive oil to yolks and whip.
- Sift flour and salt over yolk mix. Fold together. Add whites and gently fold in.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 10” cake pans and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.
- Let cool completely, then cut into 16 servings.
Italian Lemon Lavender Icing Directions
- With whisk attachment for a stand mixer, break up mascarpone cheese on medium speed.
- Add powdered sugar and whip until creamy. Add vanilla, lavender, and lemon. Be careful not to overbeat.
- Turn mixer on high speed and slowly add in the cream. Beat until creamy and thick. Do not overbeat or it will curdle.
Nutritional Key: Calories/Carbs/Proteins/Fat/Fiber 217/19/3/15/1