Eggplant Napoleon Ingredients
- 1 each eggplant, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded - about 2 average size peppers per cup
- 2 cups spinach, raw, packed
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup arrabbiata sauce (see recipe below)
- 4 tbsp. vegan arugula pesto
- 4 servings vegan cashew alfredo sauce
Arrabbiata Sauce Ingredients
- 1 lb. grape tomato pureed in blender
- ¼ lb. grape tomatoes, halved, diced
- ¼ lb. red onion, chopped
- 1 ⅓ tbsp. garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. chili pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. basil leaves, fresh, chopped
- 2 tbsp. oregano, fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp. to taste salt
- 1 tsp. to tast black pepper
- 2 tsp. olive oil
Eggplant Napoleon Directions
- For Pepper: Turn gas burner on high. Place peppers on the burner and roast until skin is black, then use a pair of tongs to rotate the pepper. Repeat until the entire pepper is black.
- Using tongs, carefully remove pepper from the flame and place in a paper bag or in a bowl to cool. If using a bowl, cover with a kitchen towel.
- To peel, place the pepper under cool running water and remove skin. Be careful, as the inside of the pepper will be very hot for several minutes after it comes off the flame.
- Peel, deseed, and cut into 3 pieces.
- Spray eggplant with oil on both sides, sprinkle a small amount of salt and pepper mix on one side. Grill on open grill. 3 slices per serving.
- In a separate pan sauté spinach and garlic in oil. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- To serve: Place 1 tablespoon of heated arrabiatta sauce on the base of the plate. Place 1 slice of eggplant on top of the arrabiatta sauce.
- Top eggplant slice with sautéed garlic spinach, add another slice of eggplant, top with roasted red bell pepper and a tablespoon of arugula pesto then the last slice of eggplant topped with a tablespoon of arrabiatta sauce and a zigzag of cashew alfredo.
Nutritional Key: Calories/Carbs/Proteins/Fat/Fiber 154/14g/4g/10g/6g
Arrabbiata Sauce Directions
- Puree 1 pound of grape tomatoes in blender with two teaspoons of the fresh basil leaves and a teaspoon of chopped oregano.
- Preheat medium sauce pot over high heat. Sauté red onion, minced garlic, and chili flakes in olive oil until onion becomes translucent.
- Add diced grape tomato and remaining fresh herbs to sauce pot. Pour pureed grape tomatoes into pot along with salt and pepper.
- Simmer sauce until thick.
Nutritional Key: Calories/Carbs/Proteins/Fat/Fiber 58/10g/2g/2g/4g