Almond Milk Cake
- 3 egg whites
- 7 oz. almond paste
- 12 egg yolks
- 12 egg whites
- 10 oz. sugar, granulated
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 7 oz. cake flour 6 cups skim milk
- 1 ½ cup honey
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sugar, granulated
- 2 cups lowfat (neufchatel) cream cheese
- ¾ tbsp. toasted crushed almond slivers
- Gradually mix the 3 egg whites into the almond paste to soften it.
- Whip the 12 egg yolks with 3 oz. sugar to ribbon stage. Add the vanilla extract and slowly add this to the almond paste.
- Whip the 12 egg whites to soft peaks with remaining 7 oz. sugar and carefully fold into yolk mixture. Then fold in the cake flour.
- Immediately spread the batter on a paper-lined sheet pan (do not use any spray oil). Bake at 350 degrees F for 10–12 minutes until done. Allow to cool. Cut cake into three equal sheets.
- Heat the milk and honey with the vanilla extract to a low simmer.
- Assemble the layers by spreading lightly with a low-fat cream cheese and sugar mix.
- With a bamboo skewer or toothpick, poke holes in the sheet cake. Pour the milk mixture over the cake and refrigerate until cold.
- Cut rectangular shaped pieces about 2 X 3 inches and sprinkle with lightly toasted, crushed almond slivers.