Cauliflower Potato Korma
- ⅓ cup cashews unsalted raw
- ¾ cup water
- 2 ½ tsp coriander seed
- 1 ⅔ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 each whole cloves
- 2 cups yellow onion, peeled and medium diced
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 ⅓ tsp garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp Ginger-root; fresh; minced
- 1 ⅓ tsp turmeric
- ⅔ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅔ tsp curry powder madras
- ⅓ tsp mustard seed powder
- ⅓ tsp ginger ground
- ¼ tsp cardamom ground
- 1 ⅓ cup packed Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 ⅓ cup packed yams, peeled and cubed raw
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, medium sized
- ⅔ cup tomato, diced
- ⅔ cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 ⅔ cups garbanzo
- 1 ⅓ Tbs cilantro, chopped
- ⅔ tsp salt to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 4 cups brown basmati rice, cooked
- Blend raw cashews in a blender with water, set aside.
- Toast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and clove in 350 oven for 5 to 8 minutes. let cool then grind in spice grinder.
- Sauté onion, minced garlic and ginger in canola olive oil for a minute. Add all spices. sauté for another minute.
- Add cashew water, coconut milk and vegetable stock.
- Add potatoes and bring to a boil. Add sweet potatoes and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Add cauliflower, cook till all is just tender.
- Add tomato and garbanzo beans and salt and pepper. cook till done.
Serves: 8 / Yield: 2 quarts / Serving Size: ⅛ of a recipe (12oz) / Moderately difficult
Nutritional Key: Calories/Carbs/Proteins/Fat/Fiber 294.35/49.1g/8.27g/8.41g/7.75g
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Pan Seared Duck with Cherry Pomegranate and Orange Chutney
- 1 lb. duck breast
- 1 cup red rice
- ¼ tsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 4 servings kiln dried cherry, pomegranate & orange chutney - recipe below
Directions for Duck
- Trim duck breast of all fat except for a small landing strip
- Preheat sauté pan over high flame; add in oil and salt & pepper seasoned duck breast, fat side down; sauté until fat browns, then flip over and continue sautéing.
- Finish in oven cooking to medium rare; remove from oven and allow to rest for a minute, then slice into 4-5 thin pieces on a bias.
Kiln Dried Cherry, Pomegranate & Orange Chutney
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 2 ¼ tsp. orange zest
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ¼ tsp. lime zest
- ¼ cup orange segments
- ¼ tsp lime juice
- ¼ cup pomegranate juice
- 1 ½ each cinnamon stick, 3 inches long
Directions for Chutney
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook the sauce, stirring occasionally until the cranberries are plump and the liquid begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it rest at room temperature until ready to serve.
Butternut Squash Soup
Yield: 2 quarts Servings: 15 Serving Size: ½ C
- 1 lb. Butternut Squash
- 1 cup chopped raw onion
- 6 cups vegetable stock - or water
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 cup raw carrot, peeled and thick sliced.
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
1.Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
2,Place cut side down on a baking sheet and bake squash at 425 degrees F. for 30 minutes or until squash begins to wrinkle and is soft enough to pierce with a fork or a paring knife.
3. Cool butternut squash and scoop out the meat of the squash with a spoon.
4. Preheat a soup pot over high heat, add the oil, and then the onion. Saute until the aroma is released, about 1 minute. Add in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
5. When the carrots are soft, transfer the liquid in batches to a blender (do not fill the blender cup more than halfway with hot liquid) and puree until smooth.
May be served hot or chilled.
Recipe Nutrient Analysis, Single Serving:
Calories: 85 Fat: 1g Carbohydrate: 19g Protein: 2g Total Dietary Fiber: 4g
Raw Zucchini Alfredo
8 - 1 cup servings
- 1 cup raw unsalted Cashew nuts, chopped
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup Pine nuts
- ½ tsp. Thyme
- ½ tbsp. Lemon juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cloves Garlic
- 8 cups Zucchini
- Blend all ingredients except zucchini in a high power blender until smooth and starts to warm up from blender, about 5 minutes to make the alfredo sauce.
- Cut top and bottom off of zucchini. Using the julienne blade on a mandolin cut zucchini length wise to create noodles.
- Pour sauce over individual portions.
Calories 141; Carbs 2g; Protein 11g; Fat 19g; Fiber 2g.
Citrus Spinach Arugula Salad
4 - 2 cup servings
- 1 Quart spinach
- 2 cups Arugula
- 1/4 cup grapefruit segments
- 1/3 cup orange segments
- 1/3 cup beets, cooked and peeled
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- Pack spinach in a measuring cup. Place into a large mixing bowl along with the arugula.
- Zest orange and lemon into mixing bowl with greens.
- Peel oranges and grapefruit
- Separate oranges and grapefruit.Add to mixing bowl with greens.
- Squeeze cores of the orange and grapefruit into mixing bowl. Add fresh squeezed lemon juice.
- Dice cooked beets and add to bowl. Add salt and pepper.
- Toss salad.
- Portional salad onto plates and top with crumbled goat cheese. Add candied pecans or other nuts as you wish.
Calories 82; Carbs 10g; Protein 5g; Fat 3g; Fiber 2g.
Tamari Orange Glazed Tempeh Napoleon Stack
(Serves 4 / Serving Size ½ cup)
1 pound Tempeh
¾ pound Yams, roasted, peeled and sliced into planks
½ cup Red rice cooked
¼ cup Dried black mission figs, sliced into wheels
¼ cup Chevre goat cheese
4 servings Tamari orange marinade (recipe follows)
Combine ingredients for marinade; slice tempeh in half crossways and marinate for an hour.
- Roast yams in 350º oven until soft, about 30 minutes; cool and peel
- Soften goat cheese to room temperature or process in food processor to make it spreadable
- Drain tempeh from marinade; either grill or sauté.
- Slice figs into rounds.
- Cook red rice until soft; cool
- Spread ¼ of the goat cheese across the top of each piece of tempeh, then add fig wheels to cover single layer
- Add 2 tablespoon of cooked red rice, then top with ¼ thick yam slices, then top with the other piece of tempeh and more yams.
- To serve-put on lightly oiled baking sheet, cover with foil to keep it from burning, and bake for about 8 minutes, or until hot; remove foil and bake for another 2 minutes to caramelize the outside of the yams and tempeh
- In a sauce pot, reduce marinade until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon
- To serve-place stack on plate and ladle 1 oz of marinade reduction over the top.
Tamari Orange Marinade for Tempeh Napoleon
(Yields 1 cup / Serves 8 / Serving Size ⅛ cup)
1 cup Tamari
1 cup Orange Juice
2 tbs Fresh rosemary, minced
1 tsp Chopped garlic
- Combine all ingredients, then add tempeh and marinate for 1 hour
- Drain tempeh, and SAVE the marinade; reduce marinade by half or until thick and syrupy and use as sauce for the tempeh napoleon
Nutrition facts: 349 Calories, 24 Fat, 10 Carbs, 57 Protein, 8 Fiber.