Apple Walnut Bread Pudding
¼ tsp. vanilla beans, split
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
¼ lb. whole wheat bread, cubed
½ apple, peeled, sliced
¼ oz. walnuts, chopped
¼ tsp. apple pie spice
¾ cup caramel sauce (see recipe below)
- Warm milk with vanilla bean and brown sugar to dissolve the sugar.
- Beat eggs with salt and pepper.
- Add bread, apples and apple pie spice to egg and milk mixture.
- Pour into a baking pan and bake (preferably in a water bath) for 30 minutes at 325° degrees.
- Serve with Caramel Sauce (see recipe).
- Dust each serving with cinnamon.
Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
3 fl. oz. water
3 fl. oz. sugar
3 Tbsp. corn syrup
1/4 cup cream
2 Tbsp. butter
- Combine water, sugar and corn syrup. Cook to a light caramel.
- Cautiously add cream, stirring to blend.
- Stir in butter.