Orange Creme Brule
- 1 cups half & half
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 1/3 cups evaporated skim milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 each egg yolks
- 1 Tbs orange liqueur
- 1/2 Tbs orange zest
- 1/4 tsp orange extract
- 2 12 tsp turbinado sugar (to top the brule)
1. Combine half & half, evaporated milk and vanilla bean in a medium saucepot and heat to just below a simmer on medium heat. Remove vanilla bean, split, scrape and add the scrapings back into the mixture. Discard scraped pods.
2.Add granulated sugar to the mixture and heat to a simmer; remove from heat.
3.Place egg yolks in a small bowl. Temper the eggs by slowly wisking in 1/2 cup of the warm milk mixture.
4.Add tempered egg yolks into the sauce pot with the remaining milk mixture. Mix well.
5.Stir in orange liqueur, orange extract and orange zest.
6.Pour 1/3 cup of the mixture into 4 oz. ceramic ramekins until the water level is as high as the brule. (custard)
7.Add hot water into the pan around the ramekins until the water level is as high as the brule.
8.Cover casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven (300 degrees) for 30-45 minutes, or until the custard is set, but still slightly loose in the center.
9.Remove from oven and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least four hours.
10.Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of the turbinado sugar evenly over the top of each brule & carmelize with a small torch. Serve immediately.
Nutrition facts:ÂÂ 2.9 oz serving.ÂÂ 142 Calories, 5g Fat, 20 Carbs
Brûlée Banana Split
Banana Split Ingredients
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. fresh berries
1 Tbsp. vanilla bean ice cream
1 Tbsp. fruit sorbet
1 Tbsp. chocolate sauce
1 Tbsp. agave caramel sauce (recipe below)
1 Tbsp. raspberry-pomegranate coulis (recipe below)
Banana Split Directions
- Peel and quarter banana lengthwise; coat with brown sugar and caramelize with a torch.
- Put two banana quarters in bowl; top with vanilla bean ice cream and fruit sorbet.
- Sprinkle with fresh berries, drizzle with agave caramel, raspberry-pomegranate and chocolate sauces.
Agave Caramel Sauce Ingredients
6 Tbsp. water
6 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. agave syrup
¼ cup cream
2 Tbsp. butter
Agave Caramel Sauce Directions
- Combine water, sugar, and agave syrup. Cook to a light caramel.
- Stand back and add cream, stirring to blend.
- Stir in butter.
Raspberry-Pomegranate Coulis Ingredients
6 Tbsp. raspberries, frozen
1 Tbsp. pomegranate juice
1 Tbsp. fructose (or sugar)
Raspberry-Pomegranate Coulis Directions
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pot.
- Simmer over low medium heat until all the raspberries are broken down.
- Puree and strain.
Deconstructed Blueberry Cheesecake Recipe
8 oz. low fat cream cheese
7 oz. sweetened condensed milk
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
4 Tbsp. thawed blueberries
4 Tbsp. graham cracker crumbs
1. Blend cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice until smooth and creamy.
2. Refrigerate until set.
3. Once cheesecake mixture is set, divide into four portions onto plates.
2. Sprinkle each portion with 1 Tbsp. thawed blueberries and 1 Tbsp. graham cracker crumbs.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 ¾ Tbsp. butter, softened
4 ¾ Tbsp. packed brown sugar
2 ½ Tbsp. sugar
2 ¼ oz. pumpkin, solid pack
½ Tbsp. egg, beaten
1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
5 oz. wheat flour, all-purpose
2 ½ oz. oats, quick-cooking
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. cinnamon, ground
1/8 tsp. salt
5 Tbsp. chocolate chips, semi-sweet
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars.
- Beat in the pumpkin, egg and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by slightly heaping tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10–12 minutes until lightly browned.
Almond Milk Cake
3 egg whites
7 oz. almond paste
12 egg yolks
12 egg whites
10 oz. sugar, granulated
1 tsp. vanilla extract
7 oz. cake flour 6 cups skim milk
1 ½ cup honey
½ tsp. vanilla extract
¾ cup sugar, granulated
2 cups lowfat (neufchatel) cream cheese
¾ tbsp. toasted crushed almond slivers
- Gradually mix the 3 egg whites into the almond paste to soften it.
- Whip the 12 egg yolks with 3 oz. sugar to ribbon stage. Add the vanilla extract and slowly add this to the almond paste.
- Whip the 12 egg whites to soft peaks with remaining 7 oz. sugar and carefully fold into yolk mixture. Then fold in the cake flour.
- Immediately spread the batter on a paper-lined sheet pan (do not use any spray oil). Bake at 350 degrees F for 10–12 minutes until done. Allow to cool. Cut cake into three equal sheets.
- Heat the milk and honey with the vanilla extract to a low simmer.
- Assemble the layers by spreading lightly with a low-fat cream cheese and sugar mix.
- With a bamboo skewer or toothpick, poke holes in the sheet cake. Pour the milk mixture over the cake and refrigerate until cold.
- Cut rectangular shaped pieces about 2 X 3 inches and sprinkle with lightly toasted, crushed almond slivers.
Glazed Lemon Pound Cake with Blueberries
1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
¾ cup fructose
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
¼ cup orange juice
1/8 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp lemon zest
½ cup frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Spray baking pan (3” x 4 ½” x 8”) with pan spray.
3. Combine flour, fructose, baking powder, soda and salt.
4. Mix together orange juice, lemon juice, canola oil, vanilla, lemon zest and eggs.
5. Incorporate wet items into dry items.
6. Add frozen blueberries.
4. Place batter into baking pan.
5. Bake 50-55 minutes.
½ cup powdered sugar
1/8 cup lemon juice
1 tsp melted butter
1. Combine powdered sugar, lemon juice and melted butter.
2. Brush cake with powdered sugar lemon juice glaze.