Pistachio Crusted Rack of Lamb
2 twelve ounce New Zealand lamb racks (8-10 bones each) frenched and trimmed of all sinew, cut into 4-5 bone racks
¼ cup Dijon mustard
1 recipe Roasted Corn & Goat Cheese Flan (follows)
1 recipe rosemary-sun dried tomato demi (follows)
½ cup raw pistachio kernels, roasted and chopped in a food processor until coarse chopped
1 tbsp. Herbs de Provence
2 tsp. canola oil
¼ tsp. Kosher salt
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Breading: Preheat oven to 375 F. spread pistachio kernels out on a baking sheet and bake until aromatic and starting to brown lightly, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Then, process pistachios in a food processor until they are coarsely ground, but smooth enough to stick to the racks. Pour into small bowl and stir in Herbs de Provence.
For the lamb: Sprinkle salt & pepper over both sides of the lamb. Preheat a large sauté pan over high heat; add the oil, and then carefully add the lamb to the pan meaty side down and cook until golden brown, about three minutes. Turn and repeat on the bony side, about one minute. Remove the pan from the heat and pour off excess oil. Carefully grab the lamb by the bones, using a kitchen towel or a pair of tongs. Brush each rack with the mustard, crust with pistachios, and then put the meat back in the sauté pan and roast in 375 F. oven to desired doneness, about 12 to 15 minutes for medium rare.
Using a sharp knife cut the lamb racks into two bone chops. Spoon the rosemary sun dried tomato jus onto each plate and lay two chops on top of the sauce. Place a flan on each plate.
Rosemary-Sun Dried Tomato Jus Ingredients:
1 ½ cups veal or beef stock, low sodium
3 tbsp. sun dried tomatoes, julienne
Trimmings from the lamb racks (optional)
½ cup Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, or Burgundy
1 sprig fresh rosemary
½ tsp. canola oil
Preheat a small sauce pan over high heat. Sauté lamb scraps (if available) and sun dried tomatoes with the oil until lamb scraps are browned. Add rosemary and peppercorns, then add the wine and reduce by half, about 90 seconds. Reduce heat to medium, add stock, and simmer until sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 20 minutes. Remove rosemary sprig.
Roasted Corn & Goat Cheese Flan Ingredients:
½ cup goat cheese (Chevre)
2 large eggs
3/4 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoons freshly grated reggiano parmesan
2 tbsp. freshly chopped fresh tarragon leaves
¼ cup sun dried tomatoes, diced
¼ cup fresh corn kernels
Kosher salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 325 F. Combine all ingredients in food processor and process until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes. Pour mixture into greased ramekins, then place ramekins a casserole dish and pour warm water in the dish until filled to halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake in 325 F. oven until flan is set and a wooden toothpick or skewer inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let the flans rest in the hot water for about 10 minutes.Add a comment
Pan-seared Diver Scallops with Garlic and White Wine on Nested Saffron Rice Noodles
1 lb. diver scallops
1 tsp. olive oil
½ tsp. garlic, minced
2 oz. white wine
Directions for Diver Scallops:
- Spray olive oil into sauté pan and bring oil to smoke point.
- Add scallops, sear and turn.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add white wine and pinch of salt and pepper.
- Heat ½ tsp olive oil in sauté pan. Add rice noodles with a pinch of salt.
- When scallops are done, place on ½ cup of saffron rice noodles (recipe below).
Saffron Scented Rice Noodles Ingredients:
1 pack rice noodles
½ tsp. crushed saffron
- Add crushed saffron to 2 qt. water and bring to a boil.
- Add rice noodles and cook until just done.
- Rinse noodles with cold water to remove starch and stop cooking process.
Cumin-Dusted Pan Seared Duck Breast with a Tart Cherry Cabernet Gastrique
4 duck breasts (4 oz. each)
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 cup Cabernet (reduced by half)
Tart Cherry Cabernet Gastrique (recipe below)
Parsnip Purée (recipe below)
- Rub the cumin into the duck breasts.
- Sear the breasts in a hot oven-safe skillet for 1-1 ½ minutes on each side.
- Place the skillet in a preheated 400F oven.
- Cook 10 minutes for each inch of thickness.
Tart Cherry Cabernet Gastrique Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. fructose
1 Tbsp. water
1 cup tart cherries, pitted
2 Tbsp. champagne vinegar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch slurry
Tart Cherry Cabernet Gastrique Directions:
- In a saucepot start reducing the wine by half.
- In a small sauté pan, add the fructose and water together and caramelize.
- After the wine has been reduced by half, add the cherries and vinegar and bring back to a boil.
- Slowly add the wine and cherries to the caramelized fructose, stirring constantly.
- Bring back to temperature and thicken with the slurry.
2 parsnips, peeled & chopped
5 cloves roasted garlic cloves
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Steam the parsnips until soft.
- Roast the garlic on a baking sheets with the olive oil and water in a 350° F oven until soft (approximately 10 minutes).
- Mix the garlic with parsnips and purée through a food mill.
Grilled Eggplant Rolls
Ingredients for Grilled Eggplant Rolls:
2 large Eggplants, peeled & sliced 1/2" thick lengthwise
2 medium Red bell peppers, julienne
1 medium Red onion, julienne
1 Cup Carrots, julienne
1/2 Cup Portabello mushrooms, julienne
1 tsp. Garlic, minced
8 oz. Fresh spinach
2 Cup Marinara sauce
6 oz. Mozzarella cheese substitute (such as soy kaas)
To taste Salt & pepper
Directions for prep:
- Lightly spray eggplant with olive oil. Place on hot broiler until eggplant is soft enough to roll without tearing.
- Sauté the mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, carrots, celery, and garlic until just tender.
- Add spinach. Take off heat and place in mixing bowl.
- Toss in 2 to 3 tablespoons of pasta sauce and shredded soy cheese.
- Place some of mixture on each eggplant slice and roll.
Directions for cooking:
- Place eggplant rolls in lightly oiled sauté pan. Top with marinara sauce and small amount of shredded cheese.
- Bake in oven until hot through.
Recipe nutrient analysis, single serving
Net carbs: 18g
Fire Grilled Beef Sirloin Oscar
Ingredients for Beef:
1 lb. beef sirloin, 4 ounces per portion
4 tsp. blue crab meat, backfin
½ cup mock hollandaise (see recipe below)
16 each asparagus spears, index finger length
2 tsp. lemon zest
1 cup mashed potatoes
To taste salt & pepper
2 tsp. olive oil
Ingredients for Mock Hollandaise:
4 oz. soft tofu
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Pinch crumbled saffron
Pinch kosher salt
1 large egg yolk
To taste butter flavor (liquid)
- Cream egg yolk in small mixing bowl over a double boiler (sauce pot filled with steaming water).
- Place tofu, lemon juice, saffron, salt, Tabasco and butter flavor into a food processor and puree until smooth. Serve warm.
- Pre-heat grill on high heat. Lightly season sirloin on both sides with salt & pepper; coat lightly with olive oil.
- Toss asparagus spears in olive oil and lemon zest, coating lightly.
- Grill sirloin steaks to desired doneness and lightly grill asparagus spears until they begin to soften slightly.
- Crisscross asparagus spears on top of the mashed potatoes, then place beef on top of the asparagus, top with crabmeat and ladle hollandaise sauce over the top. Garnish with a pinch of fresh lemon zest.
Recipe Nutrient Analysis (per serving):
Trout Baked in Yellow Corn Husks
2 Idaho trout filets (8 oz. each)
8 tsp. fresh herb rub (recipe below)
8 slices lemon
8 slices roma tomato
4 sprigs fresh thyme
4 squeezes fresh lemon juice
Dash kosher salt
8 corn husks
- Soak the corn husks in water to hydrate.
- Cut each 8 oz. trout filet in half making four 4-ounce servings.
- Squeeze a small amount of lemon juice onto the trout; add a small sprinkle of salt over each serving.
- Brush the trout with the herb rub.
- Top the trout with alternating slices of lemon and tomato; top each serving with a sprig of thyme.
- Carefully flip the trout over onto the corn husks so that the tomato/lemon/thyme are lying on the husk.
- Fold the husk over so that the trout is completely sealed inside; cover with a damp towel and reserve for service.
- To finish, bake for 6-7 minutes in a 400° oven.
Herb Rub Ingredients:
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
½ cup fresh oregano, chopped
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
¼ cup fresh rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp. mustard seed
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
4 Tbsp. olive oil
Herb Rub Directions:
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients together.
Chilled Watermelon Cilantro Soup
6 ½ Cup Seedless watermelon, peeled
1 ¼ Cup Unsweetened apple juice
¼ Cup Fresh cilantro, minced
½ Cup Coconut milk
1 tsp. Agave syrup
2 tsp. Cornstarch
- Bring 1 Cup apple juice to a rolling boil.
- Add corn starch to ¼ C cold apple juice till smooth and creamy (no lumps).
- Whisk in corn starch slurry to boiling apple juice (apple juice will become very thick).
- Chill to below 40 degrees.
- Purée watermelon, pour into strainer and use a rubber spatula to press the pulp through (discard small seeds that will be left).
- Place all ingredients in blender and mix well.
Hint: fine mince 1 fresh seeded jalapeno, sprinkle on top of soup for garnish.
Recipe Nutrient Analysis, Single Serving:
Chocolate- Chile Pumpkin Seed Pesto
½ Cup Pumpkin seeds
4–5 cloves fresh garlic
1 tsp. Paprika
2 tsp. Chile powder
2 tsp. Cocoa powder
1 tsp. Coriander
2 tsp. Chopped cilantro
1 ½ tsp. Agave
Olive oil (enough to reach the consistency you desire)
Salt to taste
Mix well in a food processor until reaches desired consistency.
Add a comment