Mango Habanero Glazed Shrimp Skewers
The combination of sweet and heat without the unnecessary calories.
1 lb. shrimp, 13-15 ct. shelled and cleaned.
1. Clean shrimp and skewer.
2. Brush on Mango Habanero Glaze (recipe follows).
3. Grill until Shrimp are done. Place atop Coconut infused Black Forbidden rice (recipe follows) and drizzle with Green Onion Crema.
285 Calories/11g fat/31g carbohydrate/2g fiber/18g Protein
Mango Habanero Glaze
- 1 tsp canola oil.
- 1 cup yellow onion, peeled and chopped.
- 1 tbsp garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 each habanero chilies
- 4 tbsp honey (preferably star thistle or orange blossom.)
- 12 cups mango, peeled, seeded and chopped.
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 cups water
Directions: Yield 4 cups, 32 servings.
- Prefeat large saucepot over over medium high flame. Add oil and onion. Saute until soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add mangoes, habanero and water. Simmer stirring often, until mangoes get soft and water evaporates. 10 minutes.
- Add honey and vinegar and cook over low heat until the mixture thickens slightly. 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer everything to blender and puree until smooth. Thin with additional water as needed.
- Strain through fine mesh strainer as needed.
- 1 Fresh Mango = 2 cups frozen.
51 calories per serving/.38 g fat,13 g carbohydrate, .6 g protein, 1 g. fiber.
Coconut Infused Black Forbidden Rice
- 4 cups black rice
- 6 3/4 cups coconut milk
- 3 cups water
DIRECTIONS: Yield 12 cups - 48 Servings
- Combine coconut milk, rice and 2 cups cold water in a saucepot and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stir occasionally.
- As rice starts to cook dry, stir in one cup of hot water and continue to cook until most liquid is gone.
Green Onion Crema
- 2 cups green onion tops only
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg yolk
Directions: Yields 1 1/4 cup - 20 servings
- Combine green onion tops in blender with water and puree.
- Combine with egg yolk and mayo and blend until fully incorporated.