Grilled Ahi Tuna with Caramelized Pineapple Salsa
Ingredients for the Tuna:
4 -four oz. pieces of Ahi tuna
Cajun spice (see recipe)
1 cup pineapple, diced small
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 Tbsp. red bell pepper, diced small
1 Tbsp. red onion, diced small
1 Tbsp. fresh basil, minced
2 medium roma tomatoes, seeded & diced
Cajun Seasoning Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. white pepper
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. granulated garlic
1 Tbsp. oregano
2 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. salt
- Pre-heat a heavy gauge (thick bottomed) sauté pan for about 1-2 minutes.
- Pre-heat a grill. (A cast iron skillet can be substituted if you don't have a grill.)
- Add diced pineapple to the sauté pan. It should shriek a little when it hits the pan.
- Let the pineapple caramelize on one side before stirring (about 30-45 seconds).
- Continue sautéing until the pineapple is charred on the outside.
- Add the pineapple juice to deglaze the bottom of the pan, and reduce.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the pineapple, diced red bell peppers, diced red onion, basil and tomatoes. Reserve for service.
- Lightly coat the Ahi tuna with Cajun spice. Place on a hot grill (or in a cast iron skillet) and cook until aroma from the Cajun spice is released - about 60 seconds per side, depending on heat. The suggested serving temperature for Ahi is rare to medium rare.
- Remove the Ahi from the grill, plate up with your favorite rice dish, and top with pineapple salsa.