Pan Seared Duck with Ancho Chile Mango Salsa
Ingredients for the Mango Salsa:
2 cup mango, diced small (2 1/2 lb after peeling and seeding)
1 pepper ancho chili pepper, rehydrated and diced small
3 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped fine
6 Tbsp. kiln dried cherries
1 Tbsp. mint leaves, chopped fine
1/4 cup red onion, diced small
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. roma tomato, diced small
½ tsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
1 Tbsp. raspberry vinegar
Ingredients for the Prickly Pear Marinade:
1 cup apple juice
1 Tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
4 Tbsp. Prickly pear syrup
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
3 tsp. Canola oil
4 Tbsp. Port wine
2 Tbsp. Soy sauce, low-sodium
¼ tsp. Liquid barbecue smoke
2 tsp. Bay leaves
4 tsp. Cilantro, chopped
⅔ tsp. Garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp. Shallot, chopped
1 Tbsp. Cumin seed, toasted
⅔ tsp. Crushed red pepper
2 pinches dried thyme
2 pinches fresh rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp. cracked black pepper
Ingredients for the Pan Seared Duck:
4 four-oz portions prickly pear marinated boneless duck breast, trimmed of most fat
1 cup mango salsa (see recipe)
Directions for the Mango Salsa:
- Soak the ancho chile in hot water to soften.
- For the chiles, remove stems, split open and dip in water to remove seeds before dicing.
- Combine with the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Directions for the Prickly Pear Marinade:
- Combine all ingredients.
- Add trimmed duck breasts and marinate for at least 2 hours.
Directions for the Pan Seared Duck:
- Pre-heat sauté pan over high heat.
- Add two trigger pulls of olive oil from spray bottle (1/2 tsp. approx).
- Place duck fat side down in pan and sear until fat begins to brown. Flip over and sear other side.
- Place in 450 degree oven and cook to desired temp (med rare recommended).
- Top with mango salsa.