Prickly Pear BBQ Pork Loin topped with Leek Straws on Smoky Cheddar Cheese Polenta Wedge
4 Pork loin chops (4 oz. each)
Prickly pear BBQ sauce (recipe below)
Polenta wedge (recipe below)
Leek straws (recipe below)
- Lightly coat pork loin chops in prickly pear BBQ sauce and grill.
- Heat polenta wedge on chargrill until hot.
- Place polenta on plate and lean pork cutlet up against it.
- Drizzle 2 Tbsp. BBQ sauce across plate and serve
- Top with a pinch of leek straws and serve.
Prickly Pear BBQ Sauce:
½ cup ketchup
2 Tbsp. prickly pear syrup
1 ½ Tbsp. agave syrup
2 tsp. molasses
1 tsp. cajun spice
½ tsp. liquid smoke
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
BBQ Sauce Directions:
Mix all ingredients well.
Smokey Cheddar Polenta Wedge:
1 ½ cup water
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. liquid smoke
½ cup polenta cornmeal
1 ½ oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- In heavy bottomed sauce pot bring water, salt and liquid smoke to a boil.
- Add polenta and reduce heat to low.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, add cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour into 4” x 8” loaf pan lined with plastic wrap. Top with plastic wrap and press firmly to form.
- Let cool thoroughly.
- Slice into 4 portions and grill.
1 leek (use first 3 ½ inches - the white part)
1 cup canola oil
Leek Straw Directions:
- Slice leek in half length wise.
- Rinse and dry well with paper towels.
- Slice into strips as thin as you can slice them — or thinner! (Make sure they are separated from each other.)
- Heat 1 cup canola oil in heavy bottomed sauce pot to 350 degrees (use a thermometer to measure — this is very important!)
- Sprinkle leek straws into hot oil and cook until light golden brown in color.
- Remove all of them with small strainer and set on paper towels to drain.