Sonoran Fish Tacos
- ¼ cup avocado crema
- 1 cup RM pico de gallo
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, fresh squeezed (about one average sized lime)
- ½ cup red cabbage thinly shredded
- 4 servings sonoran style black beans
- 1 pound mahi mahi or other mild white fish
- 4 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 8 each corn tortillas (about 6 inches)
In a small mixing bowl, combine cabbage, fresh squeezed lime juice and cilantro. Mix well and allow to sit at room temperature while you complete the rest of the preparation.
Portion the fish into 8 equal pieces. Season lightly on both sides with salt and pepper.
Preheat an oven safe sauté pan (stainless steel, no plastic handle) on high heat until fully heated; preheat oven to 450F.
Add just enough canola, olive or avocado oil to the pan to lightly coat the bottom, then carefully place the fish in the pan and sauté for about two minutes per side, then place the whole sauté pan in the pre-heated oven and bake until cooked through , 8-10 minutes. Remove fish from oven and let it rest for 2-3 minutes.
Warm corn tortillas over an open flame or in a sauté pan to soften, then lay two overlapping side by side on each plate; place a piece of fish in the center of each tortilla, and top with the cilantro lime cabbage mixture.
Garnish with lime wedges and serve with black beans, fresh pico de gallo, and avocado crema.
Nutritional Key: Calories/Carbs/Proteins/Fat/Fiber 346.02/44.29g/35.72g/3.36g/7.73g
Degree of Difficulty: Moderately difficult
Servings: 4 - 1/4 of a recipe (13.9 ounces)
RM Pico de Gallo
- 2 ½ cups tomatoes cored and diced
- ¾ cup red onion, minced
- 3 tbs fresh lime juice
- 1 ½ Tbs cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbs jalapeno chiles, stemmed, seeded and finely diced
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander, ground
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp kosher salt
Medium dice tomatoes
Small dice red; chop the fresh jalapeno very small (otherwise the heat may overpower the salsa)
Rinse, dry and rough chop the cilantro
Combine all ingredients in an appropriately sized mixing bowl and stir together. Adjust seasoning as desired.
Nutritional Key: Calories/Carbs/Proteins/Fat/Fiber 11.51/2.59g/0.47g/0.13g/0.68g
Degree of Difficulty: Easy
Servings: 12 / Yields 3 cups - 1/12 of a recipe (1.7 ounces)
Sonoran Style Black Beans
- ¾ tsp canola oil
- 1 ½ cups black beans, raw
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 6 tbs red onion, chopped
- 1 ½ tbs garlic chopped
- ⅜ tsp jalapeno chiles, stemmed, seeded and finely diced
- 1 ½ tbs cilantro
- ½ tsp kosher salt
Spread raw beans out on a sheet pan and pick through to remove any rocks or broken beans. Soak overnight with 4 times as much cold water as there are beans
Heat soup pot over high flame, add oil, and sauté onion, garlic and jalapeno. Add beans and veg stock and simmer over medium heat until beans are tender but not mushy.
Stir in cilantro and salt and hold hot until ready to serve.
Nutritional Key: Calories/Carbs/Proteins/Fat/Fiber 84.28/15.4g/5.04g/0.51g/3.69g
Degree of Difficulty: Easy
Servings: 12 / Yields 3 cups - 1/12 of a recipe (5.2 ounces)
- 1 cup avocados, seeded, peeled
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
Puree avocado in food processor until smooth. Add mayo and blend until fully incorporated. Serving size is one tablespoon.
Nutritional Key: Calories/Carbs/Proteins/Fat/Fiber 61.32/3.39g/0.5g/5.51g/1.56g
Degree of Difficulty: Easy
Servings: 10 / Yields ⅝ cups - 1/10 of a recipe (1 ounces)
Cauliflower Potato Korma
- ⅓ cup cashews unsalted raw
- ¾ cup water
- 2 ½ tsp coriander seed
- 1 ⅔ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 each whole cloves
- 2 cups yellow onion, peeled and medium diced
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 ⅓ tsp garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp Ginger-root; fresh; minced
- 1 ⅓ tsp turmeric
- ⅔ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅔ tsp curry powder madras
- ⅓ tsp mustard seed powder
- ⅓ tsp ginger ground
- ¼ tsp cardamom ground
- 1 ⅓ cup packed Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 ⅓ cup packed yams, peeled and cubed raw
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, medium sized
- ⅔ cup tomato, diced
- ⅔ cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 ⅔ cups garbanzo
- 1 ⅓ Tbs cilantro, chopped
- ⅔ tsp salt to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 4 cups brown basmati rice, cooked
- Blend raw cashews in a blender with water, set aside.
- Toast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and clove in 350 oven for 5 to 8 minutes. let cool then grind in spice grinder.
- Sauté onion, minced garlic and ginger in canola olive oil for a minute. Add all spices. sauté for another minute.
- Add cashew water, coconut milk and vegetable stock.
- Add potatoes and bring to a boil. Add sweet potatoes and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Add cauliflower, cook till all is just tender.
- Add tomato and garbanzo beans and salt and pepper. cook till done.
Serves: 8 / Yield: 2 quarts / Serving Size: ⅛ of a recipe (12oz) / Moderately difficult
Nutritional Key: Calories/Carbs/Proteins/Fat/Fiber 294.35/49.1g/8.27g/8.41g/7.75g
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Pan Seared Duck with Cherry Pomegranate and Orange Chutney
- 1 lb. duck breast
- 1 cup red rice
- ¼ tsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 4 servings kiln dried cherry, pomegranate & orange chutney - recipe below
Directions for Duck
- Trim duck breast of all fat except for a small landing strip
- Preheat sauté pan over high flame; add in oil and salt & pepper seasoned duck breast, fat side down; sauté until fat browns, then flip over and continue sautéing.
- Finish in oven cooking to medium rare; remove from oven and allow to rest for a minute, then slice into 4-5 thin pieces on a bias.
Kiln Dried Cherry, Pomegranate & Orange Chutney
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 2 ¼ tsp. orange zest
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ¼ tsp. lime zest
- ¼ cup orange segments
- ¼ tsp lime juice
- ¼ cup pomegranate juice
- 1 ½ each cinnamon stick, 3 inches long
Directions for Chutney
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook the sauce, stirring occasionally until the cranberries are plump and the liquid begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it rest at room temperature until ready to serve.
Butternut Squash Soup
Yield: 2 quarts Servings: 15 Serving Size: ½ C
- 1 lb. Butternut Squash
- 1 cup chopped raw onion
- 6 cups vegetable stock - or water
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 cup raw carrot, peeled and thick sliced.
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
1.Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
2,Place cut side down on a baking sheet and bake squash at 425 degrees F. for 30 minutes or until squash begins to wrinkle and is soft enough to pierce with a fork or a paring knife.
3. Cool butternut squash and scoop out the meat of the squash with a spoon.
4. Preheat a soup pot over high heat, add the oil, and then the onion. Saute until the aroma is released, about 1 minute. Add in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
5. When the carrots are soft, transfer the liquid in batches to a blender (do not fill the blender cup more than halfway with hot liquid) and puree until smooth.
May be served hot or chilled.
Recipe Nutrient Analysis, Single Serving:
Calories: 85 Fat: 1g Carbohydrate: 19g Protein: 2g Total Dietary Fiber: 4g
Raw Zucchini Alfredo
8 - 1 cup servings
- 1 cup raw unsalted Cashew nuts, chopped
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup Pine nuts
- ½ tsp. Thyme
- ½ tbsp. Lemon juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cloves Garlic
- 8 cups Zucchini
- Blend all ingredients except zucchini in a high power blender until smooth and starts to warm up from blender, about 5 minutes to make the alfredo sauce.
- Cut top and bottom off of zucchini. Using the julienne blade on a mandolin cut zucchini length wise to create noodles.
- Pour sauce over individual portions.
Calories 141; Carbs 2g; Protein 11g; Fat 19g; Fiber 2g.
Citrus Spinach Arugula Salad
4 - 2 cup servings
- 1 Quart spinach
- 2 cups Arugula
- 1/4 cup grapefruit segments
- 1/3 cup orange segments
- 1/3 cup beets, cooked and peeled
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- Pack spinach in a measuring cup. Place into a large mixing bowl along with the arugula.
- Zest orange and lemon into mixing bowl with greens.
- Peel oranges and grapefruit
- Separate oranges and grapefruit.Add to mixing bowl with greens.
- Squeeze cores of the orange and grapefruit into mixing bowl. Add fresh squeezed lemon juice.
- Dice cooked beets and add to bowl. Add salt and pepper.
- Toss salad.
- Portional salad onto plates and top with crumbled goat cheese. Add candied pecans or other nuts as you wish.
Calories 82; Carbs 10g; Protein 5g; Fat 3g; Fiber 2g.