16 each Jumbo Shrimp
1 cup Roma Tomatoes, seeded and diced small
2 tsp Garlic, minced
2 tsp Shallots, minced
4 tsp Cilantro, chopped
- Bring Pure Olive Oil to smoke point
- Add Shrimp. Sauté 2 minutes and turn.
- Add Diced Tomatoes. Sauté 1 minute.
- Add Minced Garlic and Shallots. Sweat 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup Seasoned White Wine (recipe below). Reduce until thickened
- Place Millet Polenta Cake on plate (recipe below). Point side towards middle of plate.
- Arrange Shrimp layered and tail up.
- Pour Sauce on Shrimp.
Seasoned White Wine Ingredients:
1 cup White Wine
2 T Paprika
2 tsp Chile Powder
2 tsp Chipotle with Adobo, chopped
3/4 tsp Salt
Place ingredients in blender and blend well.
Millet Polenta Cake Ingredients:
3 T Cooked Millet (1 ½ T Millet, 3 T Boiling Water)
3 T Yellow Onion, diced
1/2 tsp Garlic, minced
2 oz Polenta Cornmeal
6 oz Water
1 1/2 T Smoked Gouda, ¼ Inch Diced
- Pour Boiling Water on Millet. Let set until cooled (pour off excess water).
- Bring Water, Onions, Garlic and Salt to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Wisk in Polenta (make sure it does not lump).
- Cook 5 minutes.
- Add Gouda. Mix until dissolved.
- Add Cooked Millet.
- Spread on silpat in 1/2" thick rectangle and cool.
- Cut rectangle in half.
- Cut squares diagonally into triangles (sauté or place on grill to lightly char).
Sparkling Melon Gazpacho
1 Melon Cantaloupe, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 Melon Honeydew Melon, peeled, seeded and chopped
¼ Cup Perrier or Other Sparkling Water
1 Tbsp. Fresh Mint, minced
¼ Cup Fresh Pineapple, minced (optional garnish)
¼ Cup Fresh Strawberries, minced (optional garnish)
¼ Cup Red Grapes, whole (optional garnish)
¼ Cup Fresh Blueberries (optional garnish)
- Chop melons into large chunks. Place in blender with mint and sparkling water.
- Puree until smooth.
- Add minced and whole fruit.
- Chill and serve.
Tip: For a fancier presentation, puree each melon separately with half of the sparkling water and mint. Place in two separate containers. After chilling, pour both colors into a frozen martini glass at the same time for two separate colors. Garnish with fresh mint and sorbet.
Recipe Nutrient Analysis, Single Serving: 50 calories, 13g carbohydrate, trace protein, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 1g fiber
Add a comment
Curried Chicken Salad
(Serves 6, ½ Cup servings)
1 pound Diced Chicken Meat
¼ Cup Diced Celery
¼ Cup Diced Red Onions
2 Tbsp. Toasted Coconut
½ Cup Pineapple (optional)
(Makes ½ Cup)
¼ Cup Lite Mayonnaise
¼ Cup Plain Yogurt
1 ½ tsp. Yellow Curry Powder
1 tsp. Table Grind Black Pepper
1 tsp. Fructose (equal amount sugar can be used)
¼ tsp. Kosher Salt
- Add all dressing ingredients and let set for at least one hour.
- Mix with chicken, celery, onions and coconut.
1/2 eggplant, peeled and diced
1/4 tsp. olive oil
½ onion, diced
1 1/3 tsp. garlic, minced
¾ green bell pepper, diced
14 oz. canned tomatoes
10 oz. red ripe tomatoes
2 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/3 tsp. cumin powder
1 1/3 tsp. oregano powder
1 1/3 tsp. basil powder
2/3 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2/3 tsp. fennel seed
3 1/2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped fine
1/2 cup pinto or anasazi beans, cooked
1/2 cup garbanzo beans, cooked
1 3/4 tbsp. dill, fresh chopped
2 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- Peel and dice eggplant.
- Place in a perforated pan and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Let stand for 1 hour and pat dry.
- Preheat a soup pot or tilt skillet; add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pot.
- Saute the eggplant, onions, garlic and green pepper until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring frequently.
Grilled Ahi Tuna with Caramelized Pineapple Salsa
Ingredients for the Tuna:
4 -four oz. pieces of Ahi tuna
Cajun spice (see recipe)
1 cup pineapple, diced small
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 Tbsp. red bell pepper, diced small
1 Tbsp. red onion, diced small
1 Tbsp. fresh basil, minced
2 medium roma tomatoes, seeded & diced
Cajun Seasoning Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. white pepper
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. granulated garlic
1 Tbsp. oregano
2 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. salt
- Pre-heat a heavy gauge (thick bottomed) sauté pan for about 1-2 minutes.
- Pre-heat a grill. (A cast iron skillet can be substituted if you don't have a grill.)
- Add diced pineapple to the sauté pan. It should shriek a little when it hits the pan.
- Let the pineapple caramelize on one side before stirring (about 30-45 seconds).
- Continue sautéing until the pineapple is charred on the outside.
- Add the pineapple juice to deglaze the bottom of the pan, and reduce.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the pineapple, diced red bell peppers, diced red onion, basil and tomatoes. Reserve for service.
- Lightly coat the Ahi tuna with Cajun spice. Place on a hot grill (or in a cast iron skillet) and cook until aroma from the Cajun spice is released - about 60 seconds per side, depending on heat. The suggested serving temperature for Ahi is rare to medium rare.
- Remove the Ahi from the grill, plate up with your favorite rice dish, and top with pineapple salsa.
Tuna Salad Niçoise
6 cups mixed greens
3 roasted red bell peppers, cut into strips
4 anchovy fillets, chopped
1 cup sun dried tomatoes, cut into strips
1 cup artichoke hearts, quartered
½ cup Kalamata olives, quartered
2 tsp. minced garlic
¼ cup shallots, cut into strips
1 Tbsp. fresh herbs chopped (basil, oregano, parsley, etc.)
juice of one lemon
3 Tbsp. olive oil
6 quail eggs
6 slices of feta cheese, sliced thin
¾ pounds of ahi tuna
- In a large bowl combine the mixed greens, two of the roasted peppers, anchovies, artichokes, and olives. Toss together.
- In a small sauté pan add 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Heat the garlic and turn off the heat.
- Add the tomato slices and let sit 10 minutes.
- Drain any excess oil.
- In a blender combine the other 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and the rest of the roasted pepper.
- Blend till smooth. Set aside.
- Spray a non-stick pan with pan coating.
- Crack the quail eggs and be careful not to break the yolk.
- Cook sunny side up.
- Add the herbs and lemon juice to the salad mix. Keep warm.
- Slice the ahi tuna in 12 thin slices.
- To Plate: Place a slice of feta on the bottom of 6 plates. Place some salad mix on the feta. Then place a slice of ahi on top of the salad. Repeat so you have 2 layers. Place a crouton on top with the quail egg as a garnish. Spoon some of the roasted red bell pepper oil around the plate.
Chef Dale Van Sky's Summer BBQ tips, rub and sauce
Barbeque season is almost here and Chef Dale Van Sky has simple tips for you to make your recipes a little healthier.
- Trim all fat from meats before barbequing and grilling.
- Make your own BBQ sauce instead of using pre-made sauces.
- Brush BBQ sauce on meats just before removing from grill.
- Try a dry rub instead of a BBQ sauce.
- Pick leaner meats such as top sirloin, flank steak or pork loin and marinate overnight in unsweetened pineapple sauce or teriyaki sauce. (The acid will breakdown connective tissues and make the meat more tender.)
- Marinate extra firm tofu as a meat substitute and use a spice rub before grilling.
Cajun Spice Rub
1 Tbsp. white pepper
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. granulated garlic
1 Tbsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. paprika
½ tsp. salt
- Mix all seasonings together.
- Sprinkle on chicken, beef, pork, fish, potatoes, eggs or vegetables.
Moroccan BBQ Sauce
Serving Size: 2 Tbsp.
2 ½ cup vegetable stock
1 cup vinegar, rice
½ cup soy sauce
1 cup ketchup
2 tsp. Cinnamon, ground
½ tsp. Anise, ground
1 tsp. Cardamom, ground
1 tsp. Coriander, ground
1 Tbsp. Ginger root, minced
1 tsp. Cloves, ground
¼ cup lime juice
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
½ Tbsp. Black pepper
1 ½ cup brown sugar
2 tsp. Garlic, minced
1 tsp. Chili powder
- Combine all ingredients and blend.
- Heat to simmer to blend flavors. Cool.
Try our Prickly Pear BBQ Pork Loin topped with Leek Straws recipe as shown in the photo above.Add a comment
Pan Seared Duck with Ancho Chile Mango Salsa
Ingredients for the Mango Salsa:
2 cup mango, diced small (2 1/2 lb after peeling and seeding)
1 pepper ancho chili pepper, rehydrated and diced small
3 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped fine
6 Tbsp. kiln dried cherries
1 Tbsp. mint leaves, chopped fine
1/4 cup red onion, diced small
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. roma tomato, diced small
½ tsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
1 Tbsp. raspberry vinegar
Ingredients for the Prickly Pear Marinade:
1 cup apple juice
1 Tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
4 Tbsp. Prickly pear syrup
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
3 tsp. Canola oil
4 Tbsp. Port wine
2 Tbsp. Soy sauce, low-sodium
¼ tsp. Liquid barbecue smoke
2 tsp. Bay leaves
4 tsp. Cilantro, chopped
⅔ tsp. Garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp. Shallot, chopped
1 Tbsp. Cumin seed, toasted
⅔ tsp. Crushed red pepper
2 pinches dried thyme
2 pinches fresh rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp. cracked black pepper
Ingredients for the Pan Seared Duck:
4 four-oz portions prickly pear marinated boneless duck breast, trimmed of most fat
1 cup mango salsa (see recipe)
Directions for the Mango Salsa:
- Soak the ancho chile in hot water to soften.
- For the chiles, remove stems, split open and dip in water to remove seeds before dicing.
- Combine with the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Directions for the Prickly Pear Marinade:
- Combine all ingredients.
- Add trimmed duck breasts and marinate for at least 2 hours.
Directions for the Pan Seared Duck:
- Pre-heat sauté pan over high heat.
- Add two trigger pulls of olive oil from spray bottle (1/2 tsp. approx).
- Place duck fat side down in pan and sear until fat begins to brown. Flip over and sear other side.
- Place in 450 degree oven and cook to desired temp (med rare recommended).
- Top with mango salsa.