Cumin-Dusted Pan Seared Duck Breast with a Tart Cherry Cabernet Gastrique
4 duck breasts (4 oz. each)
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 cup Cabernet (reduced by half)
Tart Cherry Cabernet Gastrique (recipe below)
Parsnip Purée (recipe below)
- Rub the cumin into the duck breasts.
- Sear the breasts in a hot oven-safe skillet for 1-1 ½ minutes on each side.
- Place the skillet in a preheated 400F oven.
- Cook 10 minutes for each inch of thickness.
Tart Cherry Cabernet Gastrique Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. fructose
1 Tbsp. water
1 cup tart cherries, pitted
2 Tbsp. champagne vinegar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch slurry
Tart Cherry Cabernet Gastrique Directions:
- In a saucepot start reducing the wine by half.
- In a small sauté pan, add the fructose and water together and caramelize.
- After the wine has been reduced by half, add the cherries and vinegar and bring back to a boil.
- Slowly add the wine and cherries to the caramelized fructose, stirring constantly.
- Bring back to temperature and thicken with the slurry.
2 parsnips, peeled & chopped
5 cloves roasted garlic cloves
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Steam the parsnips until soft.
- Roast the garlic on a baking sheets with the olive oil and water in a 350° F oven until soft (approximately 10 minutes).
- Mix the garlic with parsnips and purée through a food mill.