Detox the Red Mountain Way
By Dr. Brad Crump, Health Services Manager
There is a dramatic and powerful connection between your mind and body, and between your body and your mind. For this reason, I feel it is important to discuss the benefits of a proper detoxification program as a way to improve not just our physical health but also our emotional wellness.
The role of detoxification in reducing stress and other emotional issues is most effective if we understand the basics of detoxification, which is the process of eliminating foreign substances found in the air we breathe, the food we eat and the water we drink. Without a properly functioning detoxification system (mainly the liver and intestinal track), these unwanted substances (ex. heavy metals) remain “stored” in our tissues such as our body fat and even our brains.
The storage of toxins can often result in many symptoms of emotional distress that according to leading physicians such as Dr. Mark Hyman are classified as “Broken Brains” when in reality they are symptoms of a “Broken Body.” These signs and symptoms are seen as depression, anxiety, stress, mood swings and memory issues, learning disabilities and Autism and ADHD in children.
A healthy detoxification program includes the following for at least thirty days:
- Eliminate refined and processed foods such as packaged foods and foods high in sugar.
- Remove from the diet foods considered inflammatory and allergenic such as gluten containing grains i.e. wheat, barley and rye.
- Eat anti-oxidant rich foods such as colorful fruits and vegetable.
- Eliminate dairy.
- Eat only small, cold water fish like salmon and sardines and avoid tuna and swordfish and other large fish due to their heavy metal levels.
- Supplement with high grade multi-vitamin.
- Consider supplementing with a medical food designed for supporting detoxification.