Three Morning Stretches
By Kim Watters,
Big stretch for the front of the body and the back of the legs
- While on your back, lengthen your arms (biceps next to your ears), torso and legs (pull your toes towards your shins).
- Try to put as much space between your hands and your feet as possible.
- Alternate lengthening one leg farther than the other.
- Alternate lengthening one arm farther than the other.
Rounding your spine to stretch your back
- While on your back, put your hands on the back of your thighs, and pull your bent knees towards your chest to round the spine.
- Press your chin towards your Adam's Apple then lift your head and neck up rounding your upper spine and pressing your forehead towards your knees.
- While on your back, open your arms out to the side in a letter T-shape (palms up).
- Bend your knees and slowly lower them to one side.
- Try to keep your shoulder blades flat.
- Slowly turn your head the opposite direction.
- Repeat to the other side. (To intensify this stretch hike both knees up, towards your armpit.)
Inhale as you begin a stretch and exhale as you get into the deepest part of the stretch. Continue with deep slow breathing as you hold the stretch for 20-30 seconds.