What Does the Chef Cook on His Day Off?
By Dale Van Sky,
Although I do not have as much opportunity to cook at home as I would like to, one of my most favorite dinners (and most frequently requested by my wife) is Beef Stroganoff on Basmati Rice. There are many recipes for this classic dish and I will share mine with you.
Beef Stroganoff on Basmati Rice
4 Tbsp Smart Balance butter substitute (could use butter or margarine)
1 Pound Beef Sirloin (trimmed of all outer fat and sliced 1” long, 1/4” thick by 1/2” thin strips)
1/4 Cup Yellow Onions (diced 1/4”)
1/2 Cup Mushrooms (sliced 1/4”)
4 Tbsp Whole Wheat Flour (for nutritional benefits and color)
1/4 Cup Liquid Aminos (could use 2 -3 beef bouillon cubes)
1/4 Cup Red Wine (preferably one you would have with the meal)
1-1/4 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Melt Smart Balance on high heat in large sauté pan until it starts to smoke.
- Add Beef Sirloin Strips and sauté until browned.
- Add diced Onions and sliced Mushrooms. Cook until the Onions stat to turn clear.
- Stir in Whole Wheat Flour and reduce heat to low. Cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in Red Wine, Water and Liquid Aminos. Turn heat up and bring to a boil (it will be very thick, the Sour Cream will thin it).
- Turn heat off and blend in Sour Cream.
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
Note: Use two parts Water to one part Rice.
1 Cup Basmati White Rice
2 Cups Water
- Bring Water to a boil in a 1 qt. sauce pan.
- Stir in Basmati Rice.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for approximately 20 minutes (all water should be absorbed).
- Place 1/2 cup Basmati Rice in center of plate.
- Top with 1 cup Beef Stroganoff.
- Place 1 Tbsp. of Sour Cream on top and enjoy.